Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tomorrow President Obama and First Lady host Anti-Bullying Conference at the White House

How Exciting!
The Obama's are holding a conference directly addressing Bullying. A landmark moment in history for everyone -could it be that our administration is proactively working to create a safer world for everyone? regardless of race, creed, sexual orientation, perceived orientation and gender expression?

I never thought I would see something like this addressed by any president when I was growing up, in fact, even my parents wouldn't address it, or at least, I didn't have the tools to confront what was happening when I was a young queer kid, of color in small suburban Illinois.
One time bricks/rocks were thrown through the window w/ graffiti and trash strewn everwhere and the mailbox smashed. Horrific haunting feeling when I recall standing in the front yard with a bat, hoping for the vandals to return.

Whenever I speak or perform at a college or a high school, i see into students eyes and i see hope, despite the horrors that still exist today, at least I know when i tell a story or a joke and make people laugh or think, there's a chance that they will not have to go through what I did, and my work is done..
here's a link for tomorrow's event

here's to MAKE LAUGHTER COUNT,
changing lives, one joke at a time

No comments:

Post a Comment